Monday 7 October 2013

D&D 30-day Challenge - day 1

I've decided to do the D&D 30-day challenge. I don't know where it originated, but that's alright. Here is a list of what it consists of though. Yes, I just grabbed the first result when searching for "D&D 30 day challenge" on google.

So the first day is today. Totally not because I should be tidying up the apartment because the realtor is coming tomorrow to take photos.

Day 1: How you got started.
It's been so long now that I barely remember it, but here's what I do remember. In 5th or 6th grade one of my school mates brought along a table top game where each player controlled a miniature and explored a dungeon. You already know the characters: a dwarf, a barbarian, a magic-user, an elf... I can't actually recall the name of the game, or many details about it, but I distinctly remember that it was in Swedish, because we were pretty bad at English back then. No matter.

The board game was a huge hit among a few of us, and we continued playing it between classes. Cut to the summer before 7th grade. A friend called me over for trying out this new "roleplaying game" he'd bought. It wasn't D&D, but a game called Chronopia. It's pretty well known in Sweden, but mostly for being so bad. That didn't matter though, because we didn't know better (and I still argue that whining about how bad Chronopia was is useless. I can't even remember the rules any longer, but the game sold us on RPGs, so it had to have had something). The book was also cheaply made and fell apart after a few uses, so you could basically ask for the equipment list and you'd get the pages but not the book itself. I kinda liked Chronopia -- the basic setting was this huge, old wooden tower-City. We never used it.

I recall an introductory adventure where my assassin (haha, yes -- my first character ever was an assassin) snuck into a room on the second floor and slit the throats of 20 sleeping guards. Or something like that. Maybe not 20. But yeah.

In other news: I had hoped to finish Death Frost Doom yesterday, but one of the players got sick and so we had to cancel. It happens, we'll play some other weekend. I'll write a short review sometime this week, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment